Page 1    Page 2 - detail photos
McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat
Experimental WWII Fighter

Detail Pictures

Click a picture to enlarge

This is Collect-Aire's 1/48 resin McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat. I didn't so much as finish it as surrender to it. I could have spent another month fixing all the "for advanced modelers only" "features" of the model, but one month is enough, I have other kits to build.

Markings are for the55th Fighter Squadron, 20th Fighter Group, 8th AF in England, which was in reality a P-38 Squadron

With all that bottom surface, I just had to give this thing invasion stripes. Note in the top views above that the upperside of the aft fuselage shows the topside stripes have been painted over with fresher, darker OD paint, as was common after the invasion was over.

(Below) The kit cockpit was rather basic. I replaced the instrument panel with one from a P-38 kit, and added a gunsight and rudder pedals from a P-47 kit. To flesh out the bare space behind the seat, I added radio gear from a P-51. I added photoecthed seatbelts from an aftermarket sheet to the kit seat, but cut the seat headrest off and added one from a P-47. As I usually do with fictional color schemes, I made myself the pilot. For this plane I made friend Ralph the crew chief. And I made the data panel under the windscreen so it says the right kind of airplane, rather than just stealing one from a P-38 or P-51 model. oh, and, of course I made myself an ace.

(Below) And this is how much friggin' weight it took to keep this thing standing on its nose gear - THIRTEEN 230 grain .45 slugs (4 in each nacelle, 5 behind the cockpit), two 55 grain .223 rounds under the cockpit, and it still didn't stand firm on its node until I put two .36 caliber civil war pistol balls in the prop spinners!

Parts fit was "approximate" throughout. Fortunately it was a soft resin and sanded easily, but getting the wings to fit the fuselage, and the nacelle noses to fit the wings, pretty much sanded all the surface detail off. Each major body part had about 1/16" difference in size to the mating surface on the next part. Those details on top of the engines are all replaced with plastic bits. The canopy didn't fit at all. I had to use putty to make the opening on the nose (where the windshield sits) smaller, and raise the aft canopy section 1/32 off the decking. I can't see any way this thing could be built canopy-closed, the vac clear part is just tooooo smalllll. The props are a mess, and I was too tired to make them right. Good thing they're flat black. I had to build up the back of the spinners to fit the nacelles. Oh, and speaking of the nacelles, the port one exploded while I was drilling it out for the weights. Shattered. I was searching for the parts for an hour. What your looking at is about half the parts jigsaw-puzzled together with Aves Apoxy Sculpt replacing the rest of the shape.

I named her "Rawcuss Roslin" 'cause I was watching Battlestar Galactica right before I made the decals. And yes, it's misspelled on purpose (actually made up of two words that describe President Laura Roslin in her fouler moods).

Well, I'm gonna go build something easy now. Whew!